So… the big question. Why join?
St Albans was the start of The Businesses Community; we refer to it as St Albans Businessses – or SABS. Membership is open to anyone who has a business in St Albans. That can be a business based in St Albans, an outlet in St Albans or has a strong customer base in St Albans.
The aim of SABs has been to build a community of business people who can work alongside each other in our great City. As part of that community we’re stronger – we care about each other, our businesses, where and how we work. As the SABS community has grown, those members have formed collaborations we would never have dreamed of, been supported through challenging times and celebrated our achievements every step of the way. We hope that answers the ‘why join’ question – but if you want to know more, we’re happy to have a chat or put you in touch with one of our members who can tell you what membership has done for their business.
Benefits of membership
Membership is £199/year – or you can pay £18/month. The collaborations, friendships and support are difficult to put a monetary value on (as they often are with membership of anything). However, the business benefits are really clear too:
- Exposure for your business. You get your own listing on this website where you can introduce yourself and what your business does. So if people are searching for a business in St Albans that does what you do, you’re easier to find. We link to your website and social media so people can get in touch easily.
- We put in the time optimising our site for Google – lots of our members come up via this site on a Google search before their own site does. In some cases, the monthly membership is less than you’d pay Google in Adwords for the same results. Result.
- You get to list your events and news on this website. Then we share them on our social media for you. So that’s us being your own mini-marketing team getting the word out about what you do, for you. How much does an hour of marketing time cost you…? We’d guess it’s probably more than £18/month.
- A ‘members only’ Facebook group where you can share what you do, trial ideas and be the first to know what’s going on
- First refusal on advertising, networking, promotional, charity and social opportunities (and there are plenty of those)
- The SAB Shop – list your products on this website and direct anyone who’d like to buy straight through to your website. We also share what’s available in the shop on our social media channels. It’s that whole mini-marketing team thing again.
£5/year of your membership goes directly to Homestart to support families in our wider community who need some extra help and support for a variety of reasons.
What do you need to do?
Being a member of any Business Community does take time and effort on your part. Our members who get the most from their membership are active members of our Facebook group.
If you’re up for really getting involved, sharing your expertise, finding new people to work with, coming up with ideas and making them happen, supporting fellow business owners and being a really valued part of the ‘social glue’ that brings us together, membership is for you.
If you really want to join but haven’t got enough time to get everything established – we’re here to help. You can purchase ‘add-on’ bundles to your membership so if you need your profile writing, your events uploaded or an hour being shown how the whole thing works so you can become self sufficient – it’s all possible. If you’re a member we can talk about what you’re doing and, as they say, every little helps!
If you’re not sure, can’t commit or do something that’s a bit too secret squirrel, maybe membership isn’t for you. We would still love to see you at our monthly co-working ‘Jelly’ events (we know Jelly is a strange name – basically we meet twice a month to co-work and catch up). Attending a Jelly is FREE! You just need to buy your own drinks/food if you want to.
Ready to join?
We need to get a few details from you so click here to join!